Total Pageviews

Translate

Regents Week!

Helen Aracena

Summer is already here and the school year is almost over. But before we can a summer vacation we have to take exams first. Regents’ week is almost coming up and it can be pretty hectic. As all the students get prepared for the exam, some of the students are nervous and some are pretty confident that they are prepared.

I decided to ask teachers on what they think about the Regents and I also decided to ask questions to the students who already took the regents and those who haven’t. Mr. Ligator who is an English teacher for 10th grade honors and for 9th graders answered some questions I decided to ask her if her students were prepared to take the Regents and she replied “Yes, because we’ve been doing a lot of practice.” She also stated that she had a lot of expectations for her students and personally thought that the English regents’ exam was the “easiest out of all Regents exams because it follows the same format ever year and believed history was the hardest one.”

I then decided to ask one more teacher the same questions. Mr. Becherini is a Global History and U.S History teacher and I asked him if he believed his students were prepared to take the regents and he said “The students that I’ve teachers have received the information necessary to be successful on the regents. However, students must spend at least one hour a day reviewing if they intend to pass.” Mr. Becherini, who teaches Global and U.S History, does expect his students to pass and just like Ms. Ligator. He also believed that the History regent is the most difficult one and the English regents is the least difficult.

Now, I decided to ask questions to two kids who already took the regents. Asil who is a 9th grader had already taken the Math regents exam and I asked him if he was prepared for the regents and he just simply replied “Sure’. Then I decided to ask Asil if he personally founded the exam hard or easy, his personal opinion was that “it was so/so”. He also personally found the Math regents to be the hardest and believe that none of the regents’ exams were easy. My final question for him was if he was ready for his next regents exam and he said “No, but I would have been if I paid attention”.

This time I decided to the same thing to a 10th grader name Chazity who had also taken the regents and if she was prepared and she said “Yea.” She also thought that the test was “Very hard, I’m not good at taking exams and I start to get nervous and I start to forget things”. Just like the other teachers that I had interviews she too had also thoughts that the Global regents was the hardest while she considered the English regents to be the easiest. My final questions for her was if she is ready for her next regents exams “No, cause I hate U.S history” she replied.

My final set of questions was for 9th graders who haven’t taken the regents exams. Raul Sanchez who is a 9th grader was asked by me what he expects the regents to be like. “Easy,” he said “because it’s just a test”. But will he get nervous when it’s time to finally take the regents exam “No, I don’t get nervous”. He quickly replied.

Another student that I interviewed was Tia who was also a 9th grade and if she believes that the regents exam will be like “Hard and easy at the same time”. She also said “If you know the stuff then its easy but if you don’t know it then it’s going to be hard”. Tia though that the couple of weeks that were left were enough for her to take the regents.

The regents are only a couple of weeks away…Wait not even but more like day away and I’m one of the many people who feels completely ready. Right now it seems like everyone in Central Park East High School is getting ready to finally take the regents exams and take on the summer vacation with no worries. No test, no school, no regents exam only the summer fun.